Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 2 - Thursday

At this point I’m still clueless and have to ask everyone about just about everything, where to find this and that like water to bathe and cooked food, this can take a while when people tell you to go one place then they tell you another and so on until I found what I was looking for. Luckily, some people have been helping me out filling my bucket up with water from the borehole that I still don’t quite know the location of. Again, I felt awkward, uncomfortable, unsure…..culture shock. The past 24 hours felt as long as days So I talked with the director for a bit before he left early to visit a relative in the hospital, and then asked around to find out how I can get to Bolga. Luckily, there was group of administrative teachers (I later learned) who were heading out to Navrongo which is where I needed to go to get to Bolga, free ride with nice people, awesome.

I hope by this point in my blogging, I’m not boring you with too many details and I’m even leaving some out, I swear, but I’m trying to keep everyone informed enough so they can sort of get a feel for what’s been going on with me in Ghana. Anyways, enough insecure reassurance fishing, here’s what happened next.


So I arrived at the taxi station in Bolga, which is also a market - I’ll do my best to describe it. Compared to Paga, it’s pretty busy, with taxis, tro-tros, buses, motos, cows, goats, chickens, women, men and children, stationary venders, mobile venders, women and girls walking around with bowls, platters, and many other things balanced on their heads, drivers yelling the name of town their vehicle is heading, and one white guy all going in multiple directions with multiple things to do. I guess in one word I’d say hectic. I roamed around looking for things I needed and wrote down on my ‘shopping list’ and actually managed to find just about everything after doing a couple laps and zig-zaging. After meeting with Aline for a mineral (pop) which took quite a while even though Bolga isn’t very large. I got a ride from her host brother to the taxi station where I waited for a bit until the taxi had enough people then off to Paga. I arrived just after dark so the women in the market had finished cooking, and since the road isn’t too lighted I settled for bread and groundnuts (peanuts) for dinner at a stand near my place. The lack of a good meal didn’t really matter though because now I had a light bulb that wasn’t going to drive me insane and a good fan to put me asleep, so I was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment