Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Still Day 2 - Thursday Night: The rains have come

The night before I could barely fall asleep due to the intense heat and humidity, but now I had a fan! Aha! Turns out I didn’t really need it that night because it rained and cooled off quite a bit (very-rough guess: 37 to 27???) And when it rains it pours! It’s dry up here in the Upper East Region, and there’s only about 3months of steady rainfall that people’s lives really depend upon. I was glad to see the rain on my second night in Paga. You can imagine the sound of a thunderstorm on a metal roof, therefore I ventured out on the patio-type enclosure outside of my door catch the action of my first storm in Ghana. One of the women residents was filling up buckets of water at one of the corners where the rain drained off and transported then into a large barrel where the water is kept for later uses like bathing, and washing dishes. I though to myself, that’s a great idea! It’s not like you’re drinking the rain water, it’s being pretty resourceful and efficient I thought. I proceeded to place my bucket at the end of the roof where it would have filled up very slowly, but the woman quickly grabbed one of the buckets she was filling and poured the water into mine. I felt kind of stupid and useless because it was another thing I couldn’t get right, but I thanked her and was grateful that I had enough water to clean myself with tomorrow morning. One step at a time…

No comments:

Post a Comment