Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What you give is what you get…

After getting some tasty breakfast (the usual) and talking with some of the guys hanging around there about where they play football (soccer) in town, I headed home and sat in my room for a bit. From time to time I feel pretty lonely having my own place and not really knowing anyone too well, and I sense myself slipping into one of those negative moods. This was staring to happen so I took a deep breath and ventured out in the town. After picking up a couple things I noticed a couple people I met before hanging out under a large tree behind my compound so I grabbed my book that I’m reading The Alchemist and my little notebook and joined them. I’m finding that when I’m feeling culture shock and isolated and falling into a “I just don’t care” mood, the hardest step is that first one, where I have to pull yourself together and make a decision that inevitably leads to uncertainty. Yet, it’s always the most rewarding because you live and learn. Even negative or uncomfortable experiences are learning blocks, but this time it was all good.

Under the tree there was an old man lying on a mat with a pillow just relaxing-half-napping in the shade, and a 25-35yr old woman sitting and reading as well as a couple kids. Because the main water pipe that's being installed had the valve open and clean water available, there was a small of army of kids mostly in there underwear carrying various sized pots and bins of water on their heads and then running back to the water source. Even little toddlers with small cooking pots wanted in on the action and were walking to and from. Since the tree we were under was right along a path and near a couple barrels for water storage, I had a front row seat.

After I sat down, an older woman who I met before came out to join - she could probably hear me bec her place wasn’t too far away - and through translation she asked me why I didn’t come and greet her. This is one of the cultural differences I’m having trouble remembering to do, greet people all the time. Sometimes I just forget I don’t think of it but it’s pretty much a rule of thumb to great everyone you know especially if they’re nearby. But she is very friendly and like everyone else I’ve encountered she gets a kick out of my attempts to speak the local language. She helped me learn a lot more today and taught me a number of expressions and words that I quickly scribbled in my notepad. After the older woman left I continued to learn from the younger woman who was reading. She speaks English quite well and really helped me learn some more Cassin (I still have no idea how to spell it but I’ll make it goal to get the spelling down). Looking back at it all, it seems incredible that so much can happen and how much you can learn and how much better you can feel when you make that decision and take a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment