Sunday, May 10, 2009

Last Minute Change of Plans

One last thing I though I’d share before retreating to my bed net to sweat myself to sleep (ok I’m exaggerating but it’s pretty hot in here). So here’s a good example of ‘rolling with it’ and how things sort-of work here. I talked with my coach tonight who’s setting up my placement and she asked if I wouldn’t mind staying in a different district other than Bolgatanga. Apparently with a little miscommunication on EWB part and also some timing on the part of our partners, they are not ready for me in Zuarungu, but there’s a placement near the Burkina border just north of Bongo where another JF who’s leaving Canada in 3 weeks because he’s writing exams due the strike at York University. So Aaron was supposed to go north of Bongo but they are ready and expecting a volunteer, and already set up a place to stay, unlike in Zuarungu. So come Monday I’m heading north, which has its ups and downs, the downs would be living closer to desert ie: hotter, the ups being a new district EWB hasn’t worked in (as far as my knowledge goes) and with partner that is very motivated and excited to have an extra set of hands from what I’ve heard. I'll post up the details as soon as I can, probably later this week.


Confusing….check. Complicated…check. Last minute changes…check. Stress….nope, that’s optional. Well looks like my placement is turning out to be pretty normal after all, Did you really think that all the preparing, blog posting, trying to contact my coach and others who’ve been to the region, trying to learn the language, getting excited and comfortable about where I’ll be staying with its close internet access and proximity to other volunteers was all going to be nicely packaged awaiting my arrival? Nope, this is development. You just have to roll with it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Brian my brother, it seems like you are doing very fine oh!
    So glad that you are posting so frequently and in such detail! I am jealous about the fan ice mmmm soo refreshing! And I totally remember how nice those cold showers were in the mornings!
    You are doing exceedingly well dealing with ambiguity, glad to see you're not stressing but going with the flow. Pretty exciting that you'll be in a different part of Ghana. Enjoy every minute of it and keep us informed along the ride.
    PLR
    Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet stuff dude. you rock that development stuff! enjoy being north of bongo.

    do expect a call, and of course, you are welcome to give me a ring as well!

    ReplyDelete